Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Behind Wall number one........

A couple years ago I freaked out because I thought that God might ask me to marry a guy I wasn't attracted to.

"Its not about looks," the Christian dating talks said. "God can change your heart."

It was the fall of my junior year of college, and I was burrowing deeper and deeper into my fear of men and dating. I sat down at church one Sunday morning and was unexpectedly greeted by a guy named David.

David was 27 and finishing his masters in some kind of engineering at the University of Missouri. He seemed nice enough, but he looked like someone my dad would be friends with (not that I don't love my dad, but I don't want to date any of his 40-something-year-old friends).

Anyway, David sat down and started talking to me. His parents used to be missionaries so he was very interested in my recent trip to Uganda.

"It was amazing!" I said.

I continued to explain to him everything I learned about God and myself and how awesome Africa is. The people literally have nothing, yet they are so joyful. More joyful than any American I've ever met. They're friendly and inviting and let their guests have the only chair in their homes. They go out of their way to make strangers feel comfortable. I was so humbled by the whole expirience.

I described our safari and how hippos invaded our camp. I laughed about getting stuck in the mud and taking a 2 mile treck down a gravel road through the game park wearing no shoes.

My enthusiasm must have intrigued him because he leaned in closer and began asking more personal questions--about my family and how I grew up and what my major was--thats when red flags went up and sirens went off.

"Good morning!" the pastor said as he walked up on stage.

Thank goodness. I can stop talking to him.

"I hope everyone has had a refreshing weekend and is looking forward to Valentine's Day on Tuesday," the pastor continued. "In light of the upcoming holiday, we're going to talk about what the Bible says about love and marriage."

My body tensed. I looked around. David and I were the only ones sitting on our row.

Oh no. This is so awkward.

I could feel the "I kinda like you" vibes oozing off of David and couldn't concentrate the entire sermon.

Why does he have to be talking about love?

I spent the entire hour praying that David wouldn't ask me out and devising a plan to turn him down incase he did.

The pastor ended the sermon with a word of prayer. As soon as he said "amen," I reached down, grabbed my purse, and stood to leave. The only problem was that David was standing between me and the aisle.

Crap. Don't ask me out. Don't ask me out.

"So, would you want to go to lunch later on this week?" he asks.

"Umm....maybe." I said. "Well, actually I can't. I'm leaving Wednesday morning to go home and I have class Monday and Tuesday."

"Well what about today?"

"Uuuhhh...."

Caught off guard.

"I, uh, actually can't today. Me and my friends always meet for lunch after church on Sundays." I said. Which wasn't a complete lie. After church, I'd change clothes then go to the cafeteria--at least one or two of my friends would always be there!


"Well," he said. "Maybe some other time then."

"Yea! That'd be good!"

Why did I just say that?

I left the service unsure of how felt. Flattered? No. Annoyed? A little. Confused? Maybe. Indignant? Probably.

Who did he think he was asking me out? He's not even attractive. Okay, maybe he does like to hike and bike and be outside and lead Bible studies for the youth group, but he's definitly not good enough for me.

I look back on that situation and wonder what made me think I was too good to date someone. David was a great guy and I shut him down. Maybe I should have said yes. Maybe something would have happened.


I doubt it. I'm pretty sure I would have found out we weren't compatable, that our personalities didn't fit. That's what happened with "Jim." I fought my pride and said yes to a date, had a good time, then spent the entire weekend with him at a confrence and realized that I could never seriously date him. He annoyed me too much. But that doesn't make me better than him.

A couple weeks after the encounter with David, me and my friend LeeAllie were running on the treadmill at the Health Connection.


"LeeAllie," I said. "What if God wants me to marry David or someone like him?"

"What are you talking about?" she said.

"I just mean that maybe God has someone in store for me that I don't even like. That like freaks me out."


"Rachel, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard." (okay...those may not have been her exact words but it was something like that.


"You're going to be attracted to whoever God has for you," she continued. "Why would he ask you to marry someone that you wouldn't be happy with."


I don't know why I was thinking about marriage at that time. That was almost three years ago and I was no more ready for marriage then than I am now. But in light of my recent trek into dating, I realize that I have put up several walls around my heart and around who I am, in an effort to keep myself from getting hurt.


People see me as a pretty confident person, but I've realized that when it comes to dating, this confidence is a wall I've put up to intimidate men and keep them away. It's a confidence that says I'm perfect, have it all together, and I'm always happy. But the truth is, I'm not, and neither is anyone else.

I know this is a wall that needs to be knocked down. However, one problem arises with the demolition: I will have to face the fact that I'm not as good as I think I am. I have flaws, I have emotions. I am needy and angry and moody. I have opinions and I don't like things, and people may not like this aspect of who I am. But you know what, that's okay.













No comments:

Post a Comment