Saturday, January 16, 2010

Haitians like dating too


"So uh do you like Celine Dion?"

I'm walking up the gravel path after an evening of watching a game of pickup soccer and singing songs with girls who
don't speak English. They braided each other's hair
while I picked up the tune on
the keyboard. We snickered at each other's mistakes.

It's dark outside now. Crickets chirp, and the Caribbean heat hugs my skin. Jasmine, Katherine, and I are walking with Simon and the guy with one shoe. I can smell Elise's Cajun cooking as we near our temporary home on the Seminaire Theologique Nazareen de Haiti campus in Port au Prince.

"Near....far....wherever you are!" Simon's Haitian accent clashes
with memories of Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. He puts his left hand to his heart and lifts his right in bravado. "I believe that the heart will, go on and on..."

"Hehe," Jasmine giggled. "Yea, we know that one."

"What what about 'it?" Simon asked.

"It?" she asks.

"Yes, 'it."

The three of us give each other side glances.

"You know....'it!" Simon throws a rock at the school bus on our left.

"You mean throw?" I say.

"No!" he says. " 'it me baby one more time!" he moves his hips in motion with the song.

"Oh my gosh!!!" the three of us burst out laughing.

"Brittney Spears!" the five of us shout in unison.

"Yes! Yes!" Simon says. "Brittany Spears. We learn English by watching American music videos."

"Well, those are someold videos." Katherine says.

"So," Simon says turning to Jasmine. "You study psychology?"

"Yes," she answers quietly.

"Well, when I am a pastor I will need a good wife. A pastor's wife
must be good and love the Lord so she can help others and maybe counsel people."

Jasmine's eyes widen at the emphasis put on counseling.

"And maybe she will need to sing too because I will be pastor and I cannot lead the church in music. The will be wife's job."

"Jasmine," Katherine says. "You sing."

"You do?" Simon's facelights up.

"No!!!" she says.

"Well, we should probably get going," I say. "I think dinner is ready."

"Goodnight Jasmine," Simon says as we walk away.

The next day Jasmine and I walk the short distance to the college library. It's
small and bare--a meager collection compared to those we have in the U.S. Simon finds us there and brings Jasmine his favorite book on marriage.

"That's nice," she says. "Rachel, don't we need to go back to the house now?"

I smile and lead the way to the door.

"I will see you later, yes?" Simon calls.

"Maybe!"


Simon....one of over a hundred people I made a connection with last March in Haiti. Simon, a man, a person with--a dream of being a pastor, a dream of helping others, a dream of finding love.

I know my blog is usually humor filled and packed with wit. And I hope I made you smile tonight. But sometimes, things get serious. On Tuesday, things surpassed serious in HAiti. I write to you this little snippet of my experience in Haiti in hopes that you will find a way to connect with Simon and others like him.

We all long to make a connection with that special someone that we will spend the rest of our lives with. We thrive off the hope of love. Although Simon's techniques may not jive with our suave American ways, his desires are no different ours. Haitians are people too. They're strong, they're fun, they're loving. And they will accomplish their dreams. But right now, they need your help. So don't forget about Simon. Don't forget about Haiti. Help them overcome this hardship and accomplish their dreams.

For information on how to help visit:
http://www.caribbeannazarene.org/wmcaribbean/Ministries/CompassionateMinistriesNCM/DisasterResponse/News/HeresWhatYouCanDo/tabid/934/Default.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment