Friday, February 12, 2010

Words of Wisdom from Ursula the Sea Witch


Okay....I know you've all been anticipating the link between my dating life and Ursula the Sea Witch. And I can almost bet that when I reveal it to you, you will be shocked to know that you were getting such scandalous advice as a seven-year-old. Nevertheless, I am not opposed to unveiling Disney's questionable methods of exposing children to subtle innuendos.

About a month ago my friend Michelle pointed out that a guy was interested in me (I think we've already established that I've spent 4 years training myself to be oblivious to these things).

"How do you know?" I asked.

"Because," she answered, "he was totally leaning into you! His shoulders were turned towards you, his body was open towards you. It was obvious.

"You, on the other hand, stayed completely closed off."

Then she proceeded to re-inact the way I kept my arms crossed and my body turned away from him.

"Did you think he was attractive?" she asked.

"Yes."

"Then show it! It's all about the body language..."

And immediately I remembered sitting on the floor of my living room, a child of the '90s, watching The Little Mermaid, and giggling as Ursula placed a hand on her hip and said,

"And don't underestimate the importance of body language...HAA!"

Then she gave her butt a little shake and sashayed away.

I remember wondering what the heck body language could mean. I never dreamed it would be useful 15 years later when I would need to know things like touching a guy on the arm was a , or turning your body towards him, or looking in his eyes are good things.

Now, before you think I'm a total prude (not that that's a bad thing. In fact, it would probably be better than what's actually true), you should know that I do actually know all of those things and then some. The problem arises when I try to figure out what's appropriate and what's not. I spent my entire high school career living on the side of inappropriate, lacking any self-respect, then moved to the land of self-righteous goody-goody who didn't want to touch a guy with a ten-foot pole.

Okay, maybe that's a little over dramatic. But you get my point.

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that next time you watch a Disney movie, pay attention. You might learn a thing or two from your favorite princess....or sea witch.

For more information, please click the following link:

2 comments:

  1. I watched the clip and I cannot believe how risque that actually was...she was THRUSTING! Oh my.

    ReplyDelete